$a += 'b';
$a .= 'b';
What Meteor has other frameworks have not?
- Realtime app from scratch (it's overkill feature)
- Simple deployment (simplest and fastest i'v ever seen)
- Live programming - you dont have to refresh page when you want to see your changes. When you change and save file in Meteor project, Meteor will automatically refresh the page.
- flexible application structure http://docs.meteor.com/#structuringyourapp. This may be confusing for beginners. When I started with Meteor, it took me some time to find the right app structure for me. I will cover this topic in upcoming article.
Other Meteor features:
- command line - create project with "meteor create projectname", add/remove packages, start meteor server...
- package management - "meteor add less" will add less package into your project and you can instantly use less instead of css files. Meteor has some built in packages http://docs.meteor.com/#packages and there is community package server https://atmosphere.meteor.com/
Future of Meteor
Recently has been introduced Meteor Marketplace idea http://meteorhacks.com/the-meteor-marketplace.html. As Jidefr mentioned in his comment, implementing this idea could harm current opensource packages idea. Now you can publish your packages for free and help other developers. But if you could sell your package wouldn't you do that? In other hand, paid packages can be copmlex solutions (like forum, chat,...) provided in high quality and customizability.
Meteor has a roadmap on Trello https://trello.com/b/hjBDflxp/meteor-roadmap so you can see what's going to be implemented. Meteor popularity and community is growing every day. Packages count and quality on Atmosphere also grow.
Meteor is still young but powerfull tool. Many people think that Meteor is not ready for production yet (Meteor is not even v1.0. At the time of writing this article it has v0.6.6.2), but I think it is ready. And I will prove it in my next application. Look at NodeJS. Does it have 1.0 version? No. But there are many frameworks, tools and other stuffs built on top of Node. So try Meteor, fall in love with it and build great things.