Why I think MeteorJS will rule programming world
Meteor.js solves all these problems
Meteor is not just a toy
It's a serious project backed by Andreessen Horowitz http://venturebeat.com/2012/07/25/meteor-funding/
Meteor is still not v1.0 (at the time of writing this article) but people build a lot of great apps with it:
- Realtime drawing board http://pen.meteor.com/
- Video coaching anytime, anywhere http://www.edthena.com/
- FasterChat http://about.fasterchat.com/
- And more http://madewith.meteor.com/, http://t.co/GCmuS0tgp5
Edit: Meteor v1.0 was released in October 2014 (one day after my birthday, nice gift!). There has been built a few cool Meteor applications since this article was published, for example:
- Verso app for education and learning: https://www.meteor.com/case-studies/verso
- Respondly - Social conversations with Meteor: https://www.meteor.com/case-studies/respondly
- Classcraft - Classroom gamification with Meteor: https://www.meteor.com/case-studies/classcraft
- CoderMania - E-learning platform for learning to code: http://www.codermania.com/
Easy to setup and run
Once you have Meteor installed you can create your projects with $ meteor create project-name command. It will create basic project structure. And then you just run meteor development server in the current project with $ meteor run command. And you can start developing. Without any configuration of database etc.
Meteor and mobile
We can look forward to Meteor Cordova support.
Meteor's community is the best community in the universe. All the people are fascinated by Meteor. They help each other and they create amazing things. Be the part of this community and you will see...
With Meteor you can build your prototypes and thereafter fully working secure (if you know how :)) applications very fast. Meteor's homepage says "Meteor is an open-source platform for building top-quality web apps in a fraction of the time, whether you're an expert developer or just getting started." And it's true.
What are you waiting for?
You should try Meteor right away. Go to https://www.meteor.com/ and enjoy better way to build apps.
- You can find a few resources on official meteor web https://www.meteor.com/learn-meteor
- You should follow official Meteor Twitter account https://twitter.com/meteorjs
- You should follow the biggest geek (IMHO) in Meteor community https://twitter.com/arunoda
- And you can follow me https://twitter.com/elfoslav
Meteor has more features than I mentioned in this article. To keep this article short I won't mention them here. You have to discover them by yourself.
Once you master Meteor, you will not want to use anything else.